Online Classes – and How They Work
At DeVry University and Keller Graduate School of Management, we offer online classes to help you pursue your education and your professional goals in a way that fits your schedule. Whether you’re taking classes while working full-time, raising a family or serving in the military, we offer online education solutions that can help you learn anywhere, anytime.
Classes Start Every 8 Weeks
You’re never too busy to achieve your goals. Our online classes meet you where you are—home, work or on-the-go. Learn more about our flexible options.
Why Take Online Classes?
Our online courses offer you the opportunity to connect with a community of fellow students and professors who will challenge and support you. With frequent discussions and assignments, you'll have plenty of opportunities to collaborate and engage with fellow students.
Flexibility and Convenience
Our career-focused online degree programs can be completed around your schedule, helping you to earn your degree program on your own timeline.
Save Time and Gas Money
When you take online classes, you don't just save time, you can even save money on your commute by completing online classes anywhere it’s convenient.
Pursue Your Designed Degree
The degree or certificate that you choose to earn through online education is the exact same as what you would earn during an in-person program, just with more flexibility to fit your unique schedule. So, you can leverage the convenience of studying online as you pursue the resume-building achievement of earning a degree.
Access a Variety of Resources:
At DeVry, you'll have access to a support team who can help tackle any obstacles in your education, including professors and Student Support Advisors who are ready to help you with any questions you may have, even if you are taking your courses from the comfort of your home. Here's a brief overview of some of the ways we’ll support you during your academic journey:
- Student Services helps answer questions and provide information about how to access academic resources.
- Student Support Advisors are available by phone and email to help you navigate your academic journey, develop study plans, assist with class selections, advocate for you and more.
- Student Technical Help Desk support is available 24/7 to help you access online learning platforms and course technologies.
- Student Support Advisors can help you explore financial aid and other financial assistance options.
- Flexibility for those living near a DeVry University campus who may want to enroll in a hybrid format and take some courses in person.
How to Succeed in Your Online Classes
Be Prepared with the Right Tools
You can participate in classes, discussions and complete coursework online utilizing a number of different devices including tablets, smartphones as well as desktop and laptop computers. You should verify that these tools are connected to the internet via a reliable and stable connection to help ensure that you always have access to course materials.
Read your course materials, your FAQs, your how-tos and online discussions. The material contained in each of these may help you gain a greater understanding of topics being covered in your online class.
Manage Your Time Effectively
Even though you won't be expected to sit in a physical classroom, make it a priority to schedule time to complete your coursework—whether that's interacting with your professor and class online or studying independently.
Use the Tools Provided
We provide multiple tools to help support you while you pursue your online degree. Take advantage of those resources, especially the team of dedicated Student Support Advisors who are here to guide you and answer any questions you may have.
Rely on the Digital Care Engine
We know that life events can make it challenging to prioritize your study schedule, that's why we created our Digital Care Engine. This methodology uses a combination of innovative technology and one-on-one support to help you stay on top of your classwork. When you use this system, we'll let you know if your grades start to slip or you fall behind on coursework and will reach out to help you get back on track. This technology was so effective that we earned the 2022 CIO 100 Award for it!
Take Advantage of Tutoring When Needed
You can schedule one-on-one sessions with our professional tutors online.2 If you’re struggling in a class—or if you just want some extra help—take advantage of this online resource.
By combining these practices and DeVry University's focus on our students, you'll have access to tools that can help you to pursue your educational goals.
Frequently Asked Questions about Online Learning
How are online classes structured?
DeVry University’s online classes are designed to provide you with flexibility while still enabling you to explore new concepts and learn new skills. Here’s an overview of what you can expect:
- Schedule: Classes at DeVry start every 8 weeks. You’ll receive course material a week before the class starts. This includes a class syllabus that outlines assignments and expectations for each of the 8 weeks of class.
- Format: Online classes are presented through DeVry’s online learning platform. Our user-friendly portal is accessible via computer, tablet or mobile phone. Each week’s assignments, topics and discussions are contained on a tab specific to that week. Older content is saved to previous tabs for easy access.
- Coursework and Assignments: Every class is developed around course learning objectives. Some classes may offer optional live or recorded lectures or group discussions. You’ll also have various assignments to complete throughout the course. These may include assignments that integrate virtual simulations, interactive videos and tools and technologies used in today’s business environment.
- Engagement: If you have any questions or concerns before or during the course, you’ll be able to connect with your professor for support. Each week you’ll also engage with classmates and professors by posting on an online discussion board. Some courses may include group projects, which allow students to collaborate virtually to complete assignments together.
How is cheating prevented in online classes?
One advantage of online classes is how the internet increases educational opportunities and resources. But some wonder whether it also leads to more instances of cheating.
You can rest assured that is not the case. We hold our students to a high level of social, moral and academic excellence. To maintain this standard, we have a strict academic integrity policy and prevention measures to help enforce it.
We have put measures in place to prevent cheating. Software within the university’s online learning platform helps flag any instances of plagiarism. It prevents violations and also helps you ensure you’re using outside sources correctly before you submit any work.
Students are clearly informed of the academic integrity policy in the university’s student handbook. They are instructed on what academic integrity is, what constitutes a violation of the policy and what consequences follow a violation.
You are expected to submit original work to showcase your learning. The policy applies to every type of coursework, including discussions, assignments and quizzes. Integrity guidelines are also established at the beginning of every class and included in the course syllabus. You are asked to sign an honor code affirming you understand and will abide by the guidelines.
The academic integrity policy is also reinforced through faculty training and resources. Instructors have access to resources on how to encourage original learning. They receive information about how to offer assessments that foster attitudes of learning, self-management and trust among their students.
What are synchronous and asynchronous online classes?
Online training comes in many forms and offers the same level of excellence as in-class instruction. In general, online classes can contain material that is either synchronous, asynchronous or a combination of both. At DeVry, courses may have both a synchronous and asynchronous component in order to meet the needs of students.
Synchronous online classes take place in real time. For example, students may have the opportunity to attend live lessons through video conferencing or engage in live office hours or chat sessions with their instructors. These activities often take place at a scheduled time during the week.
Asynchronous online classes can be accessed by students as it suits their schedules. For example, students completing asynchronous content may have the opportunity to access recorded live lessons, supplemental readings and interactive learning modules. Asynchronous activities must be completed by syllabus deadlines but accomplished wherever and whenever fits within your schedule.
What are the benefits of online learning?
Online learning is a great solution for anyone looking to advance their education. You receive the same level of excellence in education you would from in-person instruction—with the added flexibility to study anywhere, anytime.
This flexibility is helpful for those also balancing work, family and other commitments. While students are expected to complete certain assignments each week, you can put in the work when and where you have time to do so when taking online classes for college. You may also save time and money by not commuting to and from school. Online learning is especially convenient for those who have a career and don’t want to put it on hold while they advance their education.
Along with flexibility, online education offers opportunities to expand your network and your technical skills. Students in DeVry's online programs have the chance to interact with other students from around the country. You’ll also have the opportunity to experience the tech tools used in online classes and education. This familiarity may transfer to similar tools used in the workplace.
Going back to school can be a great way to work toward your personal and career goals. Explore our blog to learn more about online education, hear tips from students and prepare to pursue your education.
Work-Life-School4 min read
10 Project Management Tips to Simplify Your To-Do List
August 30, 2021
Good project management skills help you keep your projects on time and become more efficient at work. Use these project management tips to streamline tasks effectively.Read more
Work-Life-School5 min read
Easy Family Meal Planning for School Life Balance
August 24, 2021
Planning your family’s meals can make it easier to manage life as an adult student. Learn about how meal planning helps promote a healthy school life balance.Read more
Work-Life-School4 min read
5 Tips for Going Back to School as a Working Adult
May 7, 2020
Interested in going back to school? It’s never too late to start. Here are some of our best tips for enhancing your education in adulthood.Read more
Take the Next Step
Questions on what it's like to be an online student? We've got answers!
Minimum and Recommended Technology Requirements for DeVry and Keller Classes
DeVry recommends using a personal laptop with administrative privileges to install Office 365 and other specialized software required for select courses. Chromebooks, tablets, and smartphones will allow some course work to be completed but may not be able to accommodate all academic technologies.
Broadband or Wireless hotspot with listed bandwidth speeds of 25Mbps download.
Broadband or Wireless hotspot with listed bandwidth speeds of 50 Mbps download or higher. This is ideal to support multiple connections, HD streaming and virtual learning.
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Microsoft Edge
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
DeVry recommends disabling any pop-up blockers used by your web browsers. Also ensure the selected web browser is updated within two months of the latest release.
ALL students are expected to use their DeVry University supplied email address, provided by Microsoft Office 365. Using your .EDU email is required to access several systems and provides additional perks and special discounts.
Windows 10 Home or Pro
MacOS Mojave 10.14 or higher
Intel or AMD2-Core Processor
4-Core Processor or better
(ex: Intel i5 or i7, or AMD Ryzen)
Intel i5 Processor
Intel i5 Processor or
Apple Silicon (M1 processor or higher)
16GB RAM or higher
16GB RAM or higher
Computer and Internet Security
Microsoft Defender Antivirus
Built-in protection for Windows 10
Antivirus and Malware Protection for MacOS
Bitdefender Antivirus Free (available for Windows or MacOS)
- USB Wired or Wireless Mouse.
- A noise-cancelling headset is recommended for online class meetings.
- Integrated webcam or USB camera capable of video web conferencing.
Students who need assistive technologies will have different computer and technology requirements. Please check with your Student Services advisor to determine the specific requirements needed to support your classes.
Keep in Mind/Disclaimers
- Computer specifications are reviewed bi-annually to accommodate changes in technology. While every attempt is made to ensure that these specifications satisfy all curricular needs for students completing courses, DeVry University reserves the right to require upgrades in the event of technology changes.
- Specific curricula for college courses may require additional software purchases. Any additional software requirements will be provided in the syllabi for your courses.
- While tablets, netbooks, smartphones and other mobile devices may allow for some completion of coursework, they are not guaranteed to work in all areas. Please ensure you have a Windows or Mac based computer available to complete coursework in the event your mobile device does not meet the needs of the course.
- Employer provided computers may not meet technical requirements or provide administrative privileges needed to run required software applications.
Still Need Help?
For questions concerning these minimum hardware and software specifications, please contact the DeVry IT Service Desk at 877-306-4283.
1http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_Future_of_Jobs_2018.pdf - page 12.
2Each student is allotted 13 hours of tutoring per academic session through www.Tutor.com (available 24/7). Additional tutoring services are also available through www.DeVryTutors.com.