Discover a variety of scholarships, grants, loans and other aid options to help manage tuition costs

Learn More About DeVry

Tuition And Financial Aid

Students in the library

Ways to Help Manage Tuition Costs

Make education more affordable

Move on to a Master's

*Waiver availability varies by location.

Financial Aid Programs + Tuition - FAQs

General Information

Student Loans

Status Changes

General Information

How is financial need determined?

When you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®), the federal government sends your FAFSA information to the DeVry University Student Finance Office. Our student finance professionals use this information to assess your need based on a federally defined methodology.

What is included in a financial award?

Your personalized financial plan may consist of several types of aid such as grants, loans, scholarships, or self-help aid.

When do I need to complete the financial aid process?

Students should apply for financial aid as soon as possible each year. The FAFSA is available on October 1st.

How will my financial aid change if I receive a scholarship or grant?

We encourage you to investigate all possibilities for assistance, including outside scholarships from corporations and private organizations and state-funded programs. If you receive such awards, your award may be revised to reduce or remove your loans.

What if I don't qualify for need-based aid?

Students who do not receive need-based financial aid awards are still eligible to apply for certain other loans, payment plans, and parent loans. These are all made available to help families fit tuition payments into their budgets more easily. To learn more about loan options, click here.

What if my personal or financial information changes after I complete the financial aid process?

Federal regulations allow aid administrators to consider extenuating circumstances when calculating aid eligibility, especially if your situation changes during the application process. If you or your family experiences any of the following, please contact your Student Support Advisor and submit an appeal to your DeVry University Student Central Office.

  1. Death of a parent or spouse
  2. Physical impairment
  3. Divorce or separation
  4. Unusual medical or dental expenses
  5. Recent loss of employment
  6. Dramatic change in income

How do I obtain more information about education tax credits?

You may be eligible for credit that could save you money at tax time. To learn about education tax credits and other tax information for students please visit

Student Loans

How much loan money can I borrow?

The academic year amounts of your Federal Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Loans are determined by several factors such as your grade level and financial need. Your Student Support Advisor can provide detailed information based on your individual situation.

Do I have to accept all of the loans funds I am offered?

You can reduce the amount of your loan(s) or refuse them entirely and still keep the other portions of your financial aid package.  We will offer an initial award to assist with paying for tuition and related expenses that the student is eligible for and you are encouraged to only borrow what you need. A student support advisor will work with you so that you can determine what makes sense in your unique situation.

What is the interest rate on a student loan?

Please visit for the most up to date interest rate information.

What is the difference between subsidized and unsubsidized loans?

Federal Direct Unsubsidized loans are available to eligible undergraduate and graduate students. Federal Direct Subsidized loans are available only to eligible undergraduate students. The main differences between the two loans are 1) Subsidized loan eligibility is based on financial need, whereas an unsubsidized loan is not, 2) The government pays the interest on subsidized loans while the student is enrolled in school at least half-time, and 3) Subsidized loans are available only to eligible undergraduate students.

How often do I need to complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN)?

The Master Promissory Note (MPN) is good for ten (10) years in most cases.

When can I expect my credit balance?

Disbursements occur between weeks two through five of each session. Credit balances will be mailed within 14 days from the date of the resulting credit balance on your student account. If you are eligible for a credit balance and have not received your check within 14 days of your credit balance notification, please contact us at that time.

Status Changes

What happens to my financial aid if I withdraw?

Federal Return of Funds Policy
According to federal regulations, a federal refund calculation must be performed if a student financial aid withdraws completely from all classes after the start of the enrollment period. Length of enrollment is equal to the number of calendar days, including weekends and holidays, in the periods in which the student was registered. However, breaks of five days or more are excluded. The withdrawal date is the date the student begins the official withdrawal process – electronically, in writing, in person or by telephone, whichever is earliest – or otherwise officially notifies the institution of his/her intent to withdraw. For a student who withdraws without notification, the school may use either the last date of academic attendance or the midpoint of the enrollment period as the withdrawal date. Failure to notify the Financial Aid Office of a withdrawal may result in additional tuition liability. Return of funds is calculated as follows:

  • If the student's percentage of enrollment period completed is greater than 60 percent, the student has earned
    – and must repay – 100 percent of the federal aid received.
  • If the student's percentage of enrollment period completed is 60 percent or less, the calculated percentage of enrollment will be used to determine the amount of aid returned.

Return of funds occurs in the following order:

  1. To the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan program
  2. To the Federal Direct Subsidized program
  3. To the Federal Perkins Loan program
  4. To the Federal Direct PLUS Loan program
  5. To the Federal Pell Grant program
  6. To the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) program
  7. To other Title IV aid programs
  8. To state grant programs, and/or to private or other institutional aid programs
  9. To the student

Tuition refunds are calculated independently from financial aid award (or return) calculations. Official course withdrawal requests must be submitted to the appropriate academic administrator or an online student services advisor either in person or in writing. Review the Academic catalog for complete information regarding withdrawal policies.

If you withdraw from any course before Week 5, your tuition may be reduced in accordance with DeVry University policies. If such a reduction occurs, the amount of adjustment will be returned to your lender as an early repayment of funds. Also, under U.S. Department of Education policy, the amount of expenses to which you are entitled may be prorated if you withdraw from a class. This amount will be calculated from software provided by the U.S. Department of Education; and any amount adjusted will be returned to your lender and charged back to your DeVry University account. Thus, you may have already have received a refund check and an adjustment will be made to your account resulting in a balance. You will be required either to pay that balance before you are allowed to register for your next class or, in some instances, arrangements may be made to pay the balance with funds from your next loan disbursement.

When funds are returned to the lender, it is assumed that a student is no longer attending class and is not returning, so future disbursements are canceled. For that reason, if you drop a class and plan to attend class the following term you should submit a request to the DeVry University Student Finance Office at to have your loan reinstated.

What happens to my loan if I need to take a semester off?

When a student is unable to attend a term, future disbursements are canceled. You must submit a request to have your loan reinstated to the DeVry University Student Finance Office at

Invest in Your Future

Net Price Calculator

FAFSA® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Education