24-Month STEM OPT Reporting Requirements
In order to maintain your F-1 status while on STEM OPT, you must check in regularly with your DSO to report changes (within 10 days of change), and validate your information in SEVIS.
Validating SEVIS Information
Every 6 months from the start date listed on the STEM OPT EAD authorization, submit the Post-Completion Optional Practical Training Employment Reporting Form with your current employment information and current residential address – even if it has not changed. This must be submitted within 10 days of the due date, which is exactly 6, 12, and 18 months from the start date of your STEM OPT EAD authorization.
Annual Self Evaluation
Submit an annual self-evaluation in the Form I-983 to report about the progress of your STEM OPT Training experience.
- At 12 months from the STEM OPT start date, you must complete and sign the top portion on page 5 of the Form I-983 and submit to your DSO within 10 days.
- At the end of STEM OPT (24 months), you must complete and sign the bottom portion on page 5 of the Form I-983 and submit to your DSO within 10 days.
Material Changes to Existing Form I-983
- You must submit any material changes to your Form I-983 training plan, by submitting a modified form. These include, but are not limited to:
- Change in Employer EIN.
- Reduction in student compensation that is not tied to reduction in hours worked.
- Significant decrease in work hours per week.
- Changes to the employer’s commitments or student learning objectives
Report Changes to Your Employer or Employment
Submit both the Post-Completion Optional Practical Training Employment Reporting Form, and the Form I-983 (for both previous and new employer as needed) with any changes in Employer or Employment information.
Report Changes to Your Name or Address
- Option #1: Contact Update Form – for changes in your name or residential address, submit a Contact Update Form to your DSO. Your DSO will provide you with a copy of the Form.
- Option #2: SEVP Portal and Contact Update Form – You may report some changes in SEVIS via the SEVP Portal. Updating the SEVIS portal does not eliminate the need for you to report to your DSO in the form of a completed Contact Update Form.
Students on the 24-month STEM OPT extension are able to access unused days of employment from the initial OPT period plus an additional 60 days of unemployment for a maximum period of 150 days of unemployment.