DeVry University History
1912 – Dr. Herman DeVry invents the “Theater is a Suitcase,” a Model E portable projector that shifts the education technology paradigm.
1913 – DeVry Corporation is founded and sells more than 50,000 projectors, which become standard technology in U.S. schools nationwide.
1921 – Dr. DeVry’s portable projector shows the first in-flight movie.
1931 – Dr. Herman DeVry and Dr. Lee De Forest open De Forest’s Training, Inc., a DeVry School, in Chicago to prepare students for technical careers in electronics, motion pictures, radio and, later, television.
1940s – During WWII, De Forest’s Training school is selected by the United States to educate Army Air Corps instructors on electronic devices and becomes one of the first schools to be approved under the G.I. Bill.
1943 – DeVry receives the Army-Navy “E” award for its production of motion picture sound equipment.
1953 – De Forest Training, Inc. becomes DeVry Technical Institute.
1955 – DeVry’s associate degree program in electronics engineering technology is accredited by the Technology Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (TAC of ABET).
1957 – DeVry offers its first associate degree program, in Electronics Engineering Technology.
1966 – DeVry Technical Institute is acquired by Bell and Howell.
1968 – DeVry Technical Institute is renamed DeVry Institute of Technology.
1969 – The first bachelor’s degree program is offered in electronics engineering technology.
1973 – The Keller Graduate School of Management is founded by Dennis Keller and Ronald Taylor, former DeVry teachers.
1977 – Keller earns accreditation from North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
1979 – Computer Science for Business becomes DeVry’s second bachelor’s level program (now called Computer Information Systems).
1980 – Degree programs are expanded to Accounting, Business Administration and Network and Communications Management.
1981 – DeVry earns regional accreditation from North Central Association.
1987 –Keller acquires DeVry from Bell and Howell, joining the two schools to form the parent organization of DeVry Inc., now known as Adtalem Global Education.
1998 – DeVry begins offering online programs.
2000 – Business Administration becomes DeVry’s first bachelor’s degree program offered online.
2002 – DeVry Institute of Technology and Keller Graduate School of Management merge to become DeVry University. The university is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission.
2003 – Keller Center for Corporate Learning, now known as DeVryWORKS, is created as a business unit that provides talent development, skills-gap training and talent acquisition to employee partners.
2011 – DeVry University becomes an official education provider of Team USA.