By DeVry University
Enrolling in a program for medical billing and coding online can be a great way to help you prepare to pursue a new career. It can also be a big help if you’re balancing a busy schedule, since its flexible structure means you can complete schoolwork when it’s convenient for you, helping make going to school easier.
Want to learn more about the benefits of studying medical billing and coding online? We’ll cover some of the potential advantages of an online medical billing and coding program, what you’ll typically learn during this kind of program and more in the following sections:
Can I Learn Medical Billing and Coding Online?
You can absolutely learn medical billing and coding online. While programs can vary between schools, the concepts you cover in an online medical billing and coding program should be identical to those you would learn during an in-person course. At DeVry, our Undergraduate Certificate in Medical Billing and Coding is exclusively offered online.
What are the Advantages of Online Medical Billing and Coding Programs?
There are many benefits that an online medical billing and coding program can offer you, including:
- No commute: An online medical billing and coding program doesn’t require you to go anywhere when it’s time for class, all you need is an internet connection.
- Flexibility: Because an online course is accessible anywhere with wifi, studying medical billing and coding online means that lectures, study resources and student support are available to you wherever you happen to be.
- Balance work and family life: Because you can study medical billing and coding online anywhere at any time, it makes it easier to balance a busy work schedule or family life instead of trying to work around a set class schedule.
Online Medical Billing and Coding Program Subjects
When you enroll in an online medical billing and coding program, you’re going to develop an understanding of many different aspects of the healthcare industry, including medical code sets, government regulations and insurance processes to name a few.
Here are some of the subjects you can expect to learn about during our Undergraduate Certificate in Medical Billing and Coding at DeVry:
- Health insurance and reimbursement: Learn how reimbursement, payment methodologies and billing work within the United States’ healthcare industry.
- Medical data classification: Explore how to abstract, anonymize and code medical data to ensure quality and accuracy.
- Current Procedural Terminology (CPT): Study how to apply the CPT code set in non-inpatient procedures, and for reporting physician and healthcare services.
- Medical terminology: Build a basic understanding of medical terminology and etymology.
- International Classification of Diseases Coding (IDC): Learn about the principles and guidelines for IDC code sets and how to use them to classify procedures and diagnoses.
- Health services and information systems: Explore the history and organization of the U.S. healthcare system, as well as some of the current issues in the industry.
Tips for Studying Medical Billing and Coding Online
While the concepts covered in an online medical billing and coding program are the same as you would find in an in-person program, our home environments are very different and can sometimes be distracting.
To help set yourself up for success and make online school a bit more manageable, here are some tips to help you stay focused when studying medical billing and coding online:
- Create a quiet space: A quiet study space can be a huge help when it comes to studying online. Create a space away from your phone, the tv or other distractions to help you maintain your focus.
- Stay organized: Studying online often means toggling from one task to another. To help keep assignments, important documents and other school-related info organized by creating a clear filing system so you can access what you need quickly and easily. You can also help keep your schedule organized by utilizing your calendar to schedule study blocks to keep yourself on task.
- Utilize your school’s resources: At DeVry, we offer several resources to help you make the most of your time with us. Resources like 24/7 tutoring1, our e-library and academic advising whenever you need them, day or night.
- Remember to rest: An online medical billing and coding program can take a lot of energy and focus. While it may seem like a good idea to study with long cram sessions, building in time to rest and maintain a social life can help you manage stress and stay relaxed.
- Build a support system: Don’t be afraid to reach out to friends, family, fellow students or professors when you need help. Taking everything on yourself can make online study more challenging. Oftentimes, working with your peers can help you develop a sense of camaraderie, or help you learn by sharing insight or study tips.
Study Medical Billing and Coding Online at DeVry
If you’re looking to study medical billing and coding online, check out DeVry’s Undergraduate Certificate in Medical Billing and Coding programs. Our knowledgeable faculty are here to guide you through hands-on learning experiences to get you acquainted with the tools and technology used in today’s healthcare industry. Our programs are also designed to help you prepare for the CCA, CCS or CPC exams, with exam prep built right into the curriculum. Classes start every 8 weeks.
1Each student is allotted a set number of hours of tutoring per academic session through www.Tutor.com (available 24/7). Additional tutoring services are also available through www.DeVryTutors.com.