Get College Credit for Prior Learning from DeVry
Your experience may line up with some of our required courses, and we think that you should have the opportunity to have some of that experience evaluated toward your degree.
Our Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) process gives currently enrolled students the opportunity to earn college credit for learning done outside of the course. By completing the PLA process, you may be eligible to cut down on some costs and maybe even lighten your course workload. This process involves working with your Student Support Advisor (SSA) to determine which course your prior learning experience may align with. They will walk you through the process and help you apply, determine your eligibility, and, if eligible, enroll in DeVry’s PLA course to create a portfolio of your experience. If you are interested, connect with your SSA to learn more about PLA.
Classes Start Every 8 Weeks
Advancing your education is a powerful way to open new career doors. Let us know how we can help you get started or continue your journey forward.
Prior Learning Assessment Step-by-Step
Step 1: Schedule a PLA meeting with your Student Support Advisor (SSA)
- Discuss with your advisor whether you are a good fit for the Prior Learning Assessment.
- Confirm with your advisor that this course is PLA-eligible and fits into your degree program, enabling you to earn credit for prior learning.
- Once you have discussed with your advisor that this is the right path for you, you can complete the PLA application.
- Once you’ve completed it, the advisor will contact you to discuss your eligibility.
Step 2: Take the online Prior Learning Assessment portfolio-building course
Once your application is approved, you will be automatically enrolled in our PLA course in Canvas. Our course takes you through 8 modules that help you create your PLA portfolio. There is no tuition charged, required books or fees assessed for this course, but you are required to create a portfolio that represents your experiences and qualifications.
Step 3: Submit your Prior Learning Assessment portfolio for evaluation
- Once you’ve completed the course, you can submit your portfolio demonstrating your prior learning.
- The online PLA course is required to submit your portfolio for PLA consideration.
You will have 90 days from the time of enrollment to complete the PLA course and submit your portfolio for review.
- The reviewer will make the determination within two weeks and you will hear of the decision shortly after.
Step 4: Make sure to showcase your prior learning
Your PLA portfolio (submitted through the PLA course) is your opportunity to show us your prior learning to meet the course outcomes and potentially earn proficiency credit. Go ahead and show-off those accomplishments! Examples of methods used to acquire learning experiences that you may add to your portfolio include:
- Work experience and job skills
- Employer training programs
- Military service
- Independent study
- Volunteer or community service
- Open-source courseware study and/or other self-study
- Other training or skills development
About Prior Learning Assessment Portfolio Evaluation
- Students have one attempt to seek prior learning competency credit for each DeVry course.
- Students may submit a portfolio for a maximum of two DeVry courses.
- PLA credit may not be applied to meet DeVry’s residency requirement.
- Students may not appeal the portfolio review decision.