Academic Quality at DeVry University
DeVry University has a long history of providing quality and innovation in higher education. We have helped students earn certificate, associate, bachelor's, and master's degrees in a variety of fields for more than 80 years.
The DeVry University Academic Annual Report
The DeVry University Academic Annual Report reflects our commitment to providing a thorough and straightforward overview of our academic initiatives and progress. The Academic Annual Report confirms our commitment to academic quality and our student-centered approach to education. It also presents opportunities for improvement as we strive to attain the highest standards possible for all our students.
Laying the Groundwork for Academic Quality
The rigors of academic coursework…funding a college education…fitting studies into a full and busy life…these are the hurdles many students—especially non-traditional students—face when they pursue a degree. At DeVry University, we are committed to helping students succeed by providing accessible education that includes ongoing support and student services.
- Articulations. DeVry University partners with community colleges so we can help students make the most of previously earned credits. We also work directly with employer education programs to build on employee training that can contribute to a degree program.
Measuring and Improving Academic Quality
In our on-campus and online classrooms across the country, we want to foster a learning environment within which our students can become lifelong learners and valuable professionals in the 21st century workplace. The success of our students is directly linked to the strength of our curriculum, learning methods and faculty. In addition, student services outside the classroom, such as academic advising and career guidance, play a major role in helping students complete their degree program and explore future careers options after graduation.
By participating in the prestigious Academic Quality Improvement Program (AQIP), DeVry University engages in three AQIP action projects each year designed to produce clear evidence of our commitment to improving academic quality. Past projects have focused on improving college-skill-readiness courses, expanding the measurement of student learning outcomes and better supporting professors who have academic leadership responsibilities.
The Five Tenets of Academic Quality
Advances in Curriculum and Innovation
Technology shapes our interactions with the world and the classroom. Under this tenet, we explore ways to advance our curriculum by evaluating the newest pedagogies and technologies as tools to deliver learning experiences to our students. This includes:
- Learning Methodologies. From providing connected classroom technology to experimenting with Massive Open Online Courses, our learning methodologies help create a dynamic, student-centered, active and experiential learning environment, and foster the life skills necessary in a global environment.
- Library Resources and Information Literacy. The DeVry University Learning Commons offers a comprehensive range of learning resources and tools, and a strategic approach to information literacy. During a course of study and through reference services like Ask-a-Librarian, students are provided with instruction in information literacy and opportunities to practice finding and using information.
- Tutoring and Online Academic Support. Availability of tutoring—and specifically drop-in tutoring services—may improve a student's persistence and GPA. DeVry University students can take advantage face-to-face tutoring and also the online tutoring resource Smarthinking.™
Student Learning Outcomes
Learning outcomes specify what students should be able to do as a result of what they have learned. We collect data to measure student learning outcomes across their educational journey. Through a systematic cycle of assessment, we can make timely improvements that support students in reaching their educational and career goals:
- Program Assessment. We use standardized assessments in general education and in business programs to measure the knowledge, analytical, and problem-solving skills gained by students in their field of study. Course Level Assessments also help us measure gains in learning and evaluate skills in applying specific course knowledge. We use this information to make continues improvements to the curriculum.
- Student Persistence and Graduation. To help students follow through with their educational journey, we carefully measure persistence and graduation rates and work to improve them. By investing in support programs, we strive to help and support every student to make it to graduation.
Faculty Development and Engagement
Faculty members are at the heart of our institution, and they often engage in meaningful activities that have an impact in their field and in the classroom. This tenet highlights how faculty members engage with students; collaborate with each other and their larger academic communities; and connect with the world around them. This includes:
- Faculty Development. Long known for industry experience, and an ability to impart to students real-world practices from the field, our professors are also academicians who are passionate about teaching. In recent years, DeVry University has made significant progress in strengthening the role that our faculty members have in maintaining academic quality.
- Investment in Growth and Development. DeVry University supports faculty to advance their academic credentials In addition, our faculty chair position, annual faculty symposia, and DeVry University Journal of Scholarly Research create opportunities for faculty development and promotion.
- Evaluation and Assessment. DeVry University students provide ongoing feedback about our faculty, programs, services and classroom settings. Through student satisfaction measurement tools, such as Net Promoter Score assessments, we can determine the quality of our courses and programs.
Student Care and Experience
One way we show care for students is by offering personal support from application to graduation and beyond. Another way is by providing career advising that help students build their professional portfolios. This tenet highlights how we customize levels of support to help students reach their goals:
- Student Support. Our goal is to continuously enhance the quality of services and the education we deliver to our students. A key student support tool, ASPIRE, provides free, 24/7 counseling services to students and their families.
- Study Abroad and Domestic Program. Our study abroad and domestic learning programs offer distinctive courses that provide transformative experiential learning. Through study domestic or abroad opportunities, students have exposure to diverse workplaces and can make powerful, long-lasting connections with companies and peers in the U.S. and throughout the world.
- Clubs and Competitions. We create opportunities for students to participate in industry related clubs and competitions to stretch their academic knowledge. By networking with peers and participating in industry events, students hone their skills and obtain a wealth of experience that enhances their portfolios.
Student Engagement to Graduation and Beyond
Graduation day is a significant milestone for our students, as a career-focused university, it is simply the beginning of a new chapter in our relationship with them. This tenet reflects our engagement with alumni and our ability to provide them with career services support:
- Career Services. At DeVry University, our career services advisors help students by working with them to develop career readiness plans and provide tools that will support their success.
- Alumni Community and Engagement. We have a full-scale alumni engagement plan that includes the DeVry University and Keller Alumni Association, a bi-yearly alumni survey, and active social media engagement. We use the feedback from the survey to improve our initiatives to students and alumni, and foster a community of thriving lifelong learners.