Will a certificate in this field provide me with the skills I need to start a career in the medical billing industry?
With our Medical Billing and Coding certificate programs, you can prepare for entry-level coding positions.
What are the pre-requisites for enrollment in this certificate program?
The only pre-requisite for enrollment in these programs are a high school diploma or equivalent.
What topics/skills will I learn about in this online course?
Topics may include classes on human anatomy and physiology, pathopharmacology, international classification of diseases and current procedural terminology. For a complete list of courses, please see the Medical Billing and Coding – Health Information Coding Coursework PDF.
Are the Medical Billing and Coding Undergraduate Certificates accredited by any independent organizations?
DeVry University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission (HLC), www.hlcommission.org. For a complete accreditation, please visit our accreditation page.
Which industry exams will these certificate programs help prepare students for?
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) certification exam.
- Certified Coding Associate (CCA) and Certified Professional Coder (CPC) certification exams. Detailed information on qualifications for the exams is available at www.ahima.org/certification/CCA and www.aapc.com/certification/cpc.
Does an online medical billing and coding certificate program offer flexibility to suit my schedule?
Our programs are offered online so you can determine your own schedule and study at your own pace with sessions starting every 8 weeks.
What can I expect from an online certificate program in this field?
In addition to offering the CCS, CCA and CPC exam preparation, DeVry’s Medical Billing and Coding Certificate programs offers:
- Hands-on experience in a virtual lab environment with real medical records
- Resume and job search help with our Career Services support
What are my options for financing an online certificate in this field?
We have a range of financial aid and cost-saving options you may qualify for, like the DeVry Opportunity Grant, as well as corporate tuition savings programs. In addition to our programs, you may qualify for work-study programs, state and federal grant programs and student loans.
What is included in the cost of the program?
Textbooks, course materials and career guidance are included in the cost of our programs.
What are the roles and responsibilities of a Medical Biller and Coder?
One of our Medical Billing and Coding Professors, Dr. Lisa Campbell, explains:
- A medical biller and coder reviews the medical record and determines the diagnoses and procedures the patient has, so it is important to understand the language of medicine to ensure they’re accurately assigning codes for the diagnoses and procedures the patient has.
- The medical industry is ever-changing and with those changes we have new diagnoses, there are new procedures that sometimes require the coders to research the procedure or the diagnoses from a clinical prospective to ensure accurate code assignment.