Jessica Javelet

Meet Jessica Javelet, Keller student and 2016 U.S. Olympian

By DeVry University

Three-Time All-American in Field Hockey

Education: Keller Graduate School of Management Student, MBA

Sport: Rugby Sevens

Hometown: San Diego, CA

Jessica Javelet is an accomplished, multi-sport athlete who has excelled in field hockey and women’s football.  She played field hockey at the University of Louisville and was a member of the U.S. National Field Hockey team from 2006 to 2009. Jessica was also a three-time All-American, three-time Academic All-American, and NCAA Woman of the Year finalist in 2007. She won two Women’s Football Alliance championships with the San Diego Surge and Chicago Force.

Jessica’s success in field hockey and football caught the attention of the Women’s Rugby team and she was recruited to join the U.S. squad. 

As Jessica prepares for post-rugby career, she is attending DeVry University’s Keller Graduate School of Management to earn her MBA, so that she will be better prepared to pursue a new profession when her athletic career ends.

“When I leave rugby, I’d like to be able to step into a professional job and this is a way to continue my education while also pursuing my athletic dreams,” Jessica says.

Jessica appreciates the support the faculty and staff provide as she balances her competition and training schedules with her studies

“Since being in the program, the advisors are always so accommodating and just willing to work with me for whatever comes up in my schedule which has really been awesome,” she added.  “I’m not sure there is really any other format that I’d be able to do without sacrificing developing myself professionally while doing this.”

Rugby Sevens is making its return to the Olympics for the first time since 1924.  Jessica hopes that this historic moment in Rio will lead to an Olympic medal for her and the U.S. women’s rugby team.

Photo credit: Flickr/US Olympic Team