1. Find a DeVry course.
Find a DeVry course that relates to your previous experience and knowledge and fits into your degree program. Your advisor can also assist you with identifying an appropriate course.
2. Talk to your student support advisor.
Discuss with your advisor whether you are a good fit for the Prior Learning Assessment program. Confirm with your advisor that this course is PLA-eligible and fits into your degree program, enabling you to earn credit for prior learning. Your advisor will provide you with an application to complete. If approved, your advisor will provide you with the Authorized PLA Copy of the terminal course objectives to reference as you prepare your portfolio.
3. Take the online portfolio-building course.6
Complete Developing Your Portfolio for College Credit before submitting your portfolio. This online, self-paced class consists of 8 modules that walk you through the steps to developing your Prior Learning Assessment Portfolio.
- Download the course syllabus
- Check out the complimentary module
4. Create a portfolio that showcases your knowledge.
The goal is to demonstrate how your previous work and life learning meet the course objectives. There are many types of learning that can be assessed in a Prior Learning Assessment Portfolio, including learning from:
- Work experience and job skills
- Employer training programs
- Military service
- Independent study
- Volunteer or community service
- Open source courseware study or another self-study
- Other training or skills
5. Submit your Prior Learning Assessment Portfolio for evaluation.
CAEL faculty members with expertise in your field from across the country will evaluate your learning portfolio and recommend whether you earn credit for prior learning. In approximately 2 weeks, you should receive an email informing you whether your portfolio has been approved for credit.