Technical Communication Careers Overview
Earning a bachelor's degree in Communications from DeVry University with a specialization in Technical Communication can help develop the skills and competencies employers value. Using traditional print media and all forms of electronic media, you'll be prepared for a technical communication career, to create, manage and edit materials that help people accomplish tasks and interpret complex material for a variety of audiences.
When you earn your bachelor's degree in Communications from DeVry University with a specialization in Technical Communication, you'll be prepared to apply your skills to print, video, and online media as a technical writer or editor. In a technical communication career, your professional responsibilities could include:
- Translating data, statistics, and other specialized information for a general readership
- Developing and standardizing scientific or technical materials, such as scientific and medical reports, manuals, instructions, catalogs, and proposals
- Selecting, reviewing, revising, and preparing material for publication or broadcast
- Planning and editing technical reports
- Overseeing preparation of illustrations, photographs, diagrams, and charts
- Preparing and publishing material for the Internet and online audiences, including graphics and images
Technical communication careers can be found a number of industries, including:
- Advertising agencies
- PR firms
DeVry University graduates of the Communications bachelor's degree program with a specialization in Technical Communication will be prepared for careers in areas such as:
- Scientific, technical, and medical writing and editing
- Equipment/software manual and operation instructions content creation
- Advertising and public relations information development
- Catalog, part list, and sales promotion material writing and editing
DeVry Career Advantage
From career-focused programs to our results-driven career services team, our focus is on preparing you for your chosen career. The proof is in the numbers. In 2013, 100% of DeVry University Communications graduates actively seeking employment had careers in their field within six months of graduation at an average salary of $44,171.
1 Figure based on 2013 graduates self-reporting data to DeVry University Career Services who were employed at graduation or actively seeking employment in their field after graduation. Does not include graduates who were not actively seeking employment, as determined by DeVry University Career Services, or who did not report data on employment status to DeVry University Career Services.