Homeland Security Careers Overview
Recent superstorms and natural disasters have increased the need for jobs in the already growing field of Homeland Security. O*Net projects job opportunities at the Emergency Management Directors level are expected to grow 19% through 2020.* With our specialization in Homeland Security Studies, you'll be prepared to enter the fields of law enforcement or emergency management.
Whether you choose to become a Border Patrol Agent, a Correctional Officer or a Government Property Inspector and Investigator, among other exciting careers, earning a bachelor’s degree in Justice Administration from DeVry University with a specialization in Homeland Security Studies will help prepare you for an in-demand career and give you the practical skills you need to fight threats, and minimize the damage when attacks occur.
* Emergency Management Directors, O*Net, sourced July 24, 2013 http://www.onetonline.org/link/details/11-9161.00?redir=13-1061.00
When you earn your bachelor's degree in Justice Administration from DeVry University with a specialization in Homeland Security Studies, you'll be prepared with the knowledge and skill set necessary for employment in careers related to homeland security, emergency management, and law enforcement in both the public and private sectors. Your professional responsibilities could include:
- Detecting, preventing and apprehending undocumented aliens and smugglers of aliens at or near the land borders by maintaining surveillance from covert positions
- Overseeing and maintaining custody, care and control of inmates or detainees of a facility, while enforcing the rules, regulations, policies, and procedures of the company and contracting agency
- Supervising and coordinating activities of members of the police force
- Investigating or inspecting government property. Preparing correspondences, reports of inspections, investigations and recommendations for action
Want to know more? Request information and a member of our team can help answer your questions.
DeVry University graduates of the Justice Administration bachelor's degree program with a specialization in Homeland Security Studies will be prepared for careers such as:
- Border Patrol Agent
- Correctional Officer
- Government Property Inspector and Investigator
DeVry Career Advantage
From career-focused programs to our results-driven career services team, our focus is on preparing you for your chosen career.The proof is in the numbers. In 2013, 90% of DeVry University Justice Administration graduates actively seeking employment had careers in their field within six months of graduation at an average salary of $30,142.
1 Figure based on 2013 graduates self-reporting data to DeVry University Career Services who were employed at graduation or actively seeking employment in their field after graduation. Does not include graduates who were not actively seeking employment, as determined by DeVry University Career Services, or who did not report data on employment status to DeVry University Career Services.