Emergency Management Careers Overview
With efforts critical to homeland security, emergency management specialists are needed both within government and the private sector. For example, FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) is a major employer in this field, as well as medical facilities and power suppliers.* A bachelor's degree in Justice Administration from DeVry University with a specialization in Emergency Management can help you gain the skills, knowledge, and experience necessary for helping people, businesses, and communities avoid and better react to crisis. Your DeVry education can prepare you for the best emergency management career opportunities in the field.
When you earn your bachelor's degree in Justice Administration from DeVry University with a specialization in Emergency Management, you'll be prepared for a variety of roles, from risk mitigation to disaster response and recovery. In an emergency management career, your professional responsibilities could include:
- Coordinating disaster response or crisis management activities
- Providing disaster preparedness training
- Preparing emergency plans and procedures for natural disasters, technological disasters, or wartime and hostage situations
- Inspecting facilities and equipment to determine their operational and functional capabilities in emergency situations
Emergency management careers are found in a number of key industries, including
- Federal government, such as FEMA, which is a major employer in this field
- State and local governments
- Transportation systems
- Power generation and supply services
- Emergency and relief services
- Waste treatment and disposal
DeVry University graduates of the Justice Administration bachelor's degree program with a specialization in Emergency Management will be prepared for careers in areas such as:
- Emergency planning and preparedness
- Emergency response and recovery
- Hazard mitigation
DeVry Career Advantage
From career-focused programs to our results-driven career services team, our focus is on preparing you for your chosen career.The proof is in the numbers. In 2013, 90% of DeVry University Justice Administration graduates actively seeking employment had careers in their field within six months of graduation at an average salary of $30,142.
1 Figure based on 2013 graduates self-reporting data to DeVry University Career Services who were employed at graduation or actively seeking employment in their field after graduation. Does not include graduates who were not actively seeking employment, as determined by DeVry University Career Services, or who did not report data on employment status to DeVry University Career Services.