College of Media Arts & Technology
Web Graphic Design Careers Overview
The growth of the Internet has increased the demand for graphic designers, particularly those with web capabilities. Working in a variety of areas such as advertising, marketing, technical communications, publishing, and training, web graphic designers use software applications to design, illustrate, compile, and produce visual solutions for communications—especially for the Internet. With the right combination of knowledge, creativity, and sophisticated technological skills, you can become an expert in the web graphic design field and capitalize on the expected growth of the industry.
To take your career even further into a position in which you'll manage the graphic design process, explore DeVry University's bachelor's degree program in Multimedia Design and Development.
Areas of Opportunity
When you earn your associate degree in Web Graphic Design from DeVry University, you'll be prepared for a number of booming career fields. Here are some examples:
- Web Graphic Designer: Create graphics for the web.
- Digital Graphics Editor: Modify and develop digital art assets, including drawings, renderings, and photographs.
- Instructional Designer: Develop education, training, information, and other materials for interactive learning on the web.
- Media Communications Consultant: Work with public relations, advertising agencies, or corporate communications departments to develop graphic communications.
- Web Graphic Animator: Use software to develop 2D animations for web-based delivery.
- Information Designer: Clarify and organize content used in a wide variety of graphic communications.
- Web Page Designer: Design web pages and graphic elements to communicate an effective message for your clients.
Nearly every industry hires web graphic designers to create, maintain, and enhance their web sites, including:
Some of the agencies and companies that employ web graphic designers include:
- Advertising agencies
- Marketing firms
- Web site development companies
- eLearning providers
- Training and development providers
- Corporate communications departments
- Online service organizations
- eCommerce providers
DeVry University Graduates in Web Graphic Design will be prepared to enter this growing field by being able to:
- Use graphic and design fundamentals to create visual solutions to web media challenges
- Produce graphic communications and training solutions
- Create animations
- Understand and apply new and emerging web-based technologies
- Work collaboratively with other media specialists, technologists, subject matter experts, and clients
For related career paths, see all degree programs offered by the College of Media Arts & Technology.