College of Media Arts & Technology
Multimedia Design and Development Careers Overview
At DeVry University, you'll gain technical proficiency in multimedia design and development, as well as strong general capabilities in applied research, written and oral communications, critical thinking, problem-solving, and team skills. Possessing these many talents, you can explore positions such as multimedia designer or producer, web developer, web game programmer, or computer graphics specialist. Career opportunities in these multimedia design and development fields are on the rise, as a result of a huge demand for multimedia Internet content, more realistic video games and online graphics, special effects, and animated graphics for web sites.
Areas of Opportunity
When you earn your bachelor's degree in Multimedia Design and Development from DeVry University, you'll be prepared for a number of exciting career fields. Here are some examples:
- Graphic Designers and Specialists: Create graphics, web-based animation and special effects for computer games, web sites, and banner ads.
- Multimedia Designers: Create the overall look of the media and must be able to perform complex image manipulation.
- Web Designers: Use layout and design skills to build media pages and integrate interactive content.
- Multimedia and Web Developers: Be involved in the development of the entire project, putting together text, images, and sound.
- Multimedia Producer/Publishers: Manage the business aspects of the industry including negotiating finance, organizing staff and supervising budgets.
- Web Game Programmers: Design interactive games that are played on the web.
Nearly every industry hires multimedia designers and developers to create and deliver web-enabled and other digital media, including:
Some of the agencies and companies that employ multimedia designers and developers include:
- Advertising agencies
- Marketing firms
- Web site development companies
- eLearning providers
- Training and development providers
- Corporate communications departments
- Online service organizations
- eCommerce providers
DeVry University graduates in Multimedia Design and Development will be prepared to enter this growing field by being able to:
- Use graphic and design fundamentals to create visual solutions to web media challenges
- Create animated graphics and web video solutions
- Understand and apply advanced imaging and illustration technologies
- Employ model design and construction
- Work collaboratively with other media specialists, technologists, subject matter experts, and clients
For related career paths, see all degree programs offered by the College of Media Arts & Technology.