Corrections Careers Overview
With increased population growth and rising rates of incarceration, the need for corrections professionals is growing. Some corrections career opportunities will also arise in the private sector, as public authorities contract with private companies to staff corrections facilities. Earning a bachelor’s degree in Justice Administration from DeVry University with a specialization in Corrections can prepare you for an in-demand career in this field, such as correctional officer, jailer, bailiff, sheriff and police patrol officer, detention officer, booking officer, and public safety officer, as well as a supervisory position like correctional sergeant.
When you earn your bachelor's degree in Justice Administration from DeVry University with a specialization in Corrections, you'll be prepared to maintain order, discipline, and security, as well as respond to emergencies. In a corrections career, your professional responsibilities could include:
- Guarding inmates in penal or rehabilitative institutions, and in transit between jail, prison, and courtrooms
- Supervising and coordinating activities of correctional officers and jailers
- Maintaining order, enforcing laws and ordinances, and protecting life and property in an assigned patrol district
- Providing social services to assist in rehabilitation of law offenders in custody or on probation or parole
DeVry University graduates in Justice Administration with a specialization in Corrections will be prepared for careers such as:
- Correctional officers and jailers
- First-line supervisors/managers of correction officers
- Police patrol officers and sheriffs and deputy sheriffs
- Probation officers and correctional treatment specialists
The DeVry University Career Advantage
Whether you are looking to attend a traditional campus or an online university, DeVry University is the place where you can gain the skills, credentials, and respect you need to succeed in the world of corrections. The proof is in the numbers. For the last 5 years, DeVry University graduates have worked at 96 of the Fortune 100 companies.* In fact, each year thousands of our graduates find themselves right where they want to be-employed in their field of study.
*DeVry University graduates from October 2004 - June 2009 in the active job market. Active job market includes those employed prior to graduation. Fortune 500 ranking, 2009.