Accounting Careers Overview
Even in the current economy, our Accounting graduates are in high demand. Contrary to the classic "number cruncher" stereotype, today's accountants work in some of the business world's most vibrant environments, from advertising agencies to entertainment firms to restaurant chains. In addition, the accounting field is broadening and the services they now offer include such things as budget analysis, financial and investment planning, and information technology consulting.
When you earn your bachelor's degree in Business Administration from DeVry University with a major in Accounting, you'll be equipped to help organizations and individuals keep accurate financial records, complete required tax forms, and pay taxes on time. In addition to designing and implementing advanced accounting systems for specific needs, some traditional accounting careers include:
- Public accountant: Handling accounting, auditing, tax reporting, and consulting for corporations, not-for-profit organizations, governments, and individuals.
- Corporate accountant: Recording and analyzing companies' financial information.
- Government accountant: Auditing, investigating, and providing general accounting services.
Accounting careers are found in nearly every industry, including:
- Public accounting corporations
- Multinational companies
- Small businesses
- Nonprofit organizations
- Government agencies
DeVry University graduates in Business Administration with a major in Accounting will be prepared for careers in areas such as:
- Financial accounting, including CPA firm positions1
- Financial services industry planning and analysis
- Financial consulting
- Federal and state taxation
- Internal auditing
For related career paths, see all degree programs offered by the College of Business & Management.
The DeVry University Career Advantage
Whether you are looking to attend a traditional campus or an online university, DeVry University is the place where you can gain the skills, credentials, and respect you need to succeed the accounting world. The proof is in the numbers. In 2012, 90% of DeVry University graduates actively seeking employment had careers in their field within 6 months of graduation.*
* Figure based on 2012 graduates self-reporting data to DeVry University Career Services who were employed at graduation or actively seeking employment in their field after graduation. Does not include graduates who were not actively seeking employment, as determined by DeVry University Career Services, or who did not report data on employment status to DeVry University Career Services.
1 Students seeking professional certification must contact their state Board of Accountancy or the appropriate organization for their field of interest to seek professional licensing exam requirements