Victoria Folayan

Meet Victoria Folayan, Keller student and 2016 U.S. Olympian

By DeVry University

Two-time NCAA National Champion

Education: Keller Graduate School of Management Student, MBA

Sport: Rugby

Hometown: Boston, MA

Victoria Folayan is a two-time National Champion as part of the Stanford University rugby team where she earned her undergraduate degree. She won a bronze medal with the 2013 Rugby World Cup Sevens, the premier stand-alone international rugby sevens competition, which is organized by the sport's governing body, World Rugby (WR), and is played every four years. Victoria also leads the U.S. in points and tries scored on the Women's Sevens Series.

Victoria, a DeVry University sponsored athlete through DeVry’s partnership with the USOC, is also a student at DeVry University’s Keller Graduate School of Management where she is pursuing her MBA.

Interested in concentrating in finance, she hopes to use her degree to help the growth of rugby in the U.S. “With the rise in popularity of rugby in the States, I believe it has the potential to also grow in profitability,” she said. “I hope to combine my passion for the sport with my DeVry degree to help rugby organizations best utilize their financial resources.”

Victoria is also grateful for the support she receives from her fellow DeVry students, some of whom are also her rugby teammates.

“In my DeVry classes, it feels like a team and that’s what I’m all about – Team DeVry and Team USA – and that has been a bonus to have the support in my coursework and on the field,” she said.

Victoria, a self-proclaimed life-long learner, has also been on the other side of the classroom, teaching math and science to kids in the Oakland Unified School District. Currently, she is lives and trains at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, Calif.

Photo credit: Flickr/U.S. Olympic Team