Kelly Griffin

Meet Kelly Griffin, Keller student and 2016 U.S. Olympian

By DeVry University

World Champion Bronze Medalist

Education: Keller Graduate School of Management Student, MBA with concentrations in Sustainability Management & Marketing

Sport: Rugby

Hometown: Berkeley, CA

As the captain of the USA Rugby team, Rio 2016 is Kelly Griffin’s first Olympic Games.  Kelly will compete as a part of the Rugby Sevens team, a variant of rugby in which teams are made up of seven players playing seven-minute halves, instead of the usual 15 players playing 40-minute halves.

Being named captain of the women’s U.S. Rugby team competing in the Rio 2016 Olympic Games is the biggest achievement of what has already been a successful rugby career for Kelly. She was named MVP of the 2011 Women’s Club Sevens National Championship team, and also won the Women’s All-Star National Championship and Women’s Premier League Championship that same year. Additionally, Kelly won bronze with the 2013 Rugby World Cup Sevens, the premier stand-alone international rugby sevens competition which is organized by the sport's governing body, World Rugby (WR), and is played every four years.

In addition to her athletic commitments, Kelly is also a student at DeVry’s Keller Graduate School of Management, pursuing an MBA with concentrations in sustainability management and marketing. Because of the flexibility and support that DeVry offers all of their students, Kelly is able to continue pursuing her education while traveling the world playing her sport.

“The format of the online classes really appealed to me,” she said. “My schedule fluctuates so much and I don’t know what it will be every day – I could be in Amsterdam or China – so being able to do my schoolwork to fit my schedule has been key in continuing my education.”

Kelly also appreciates the real-world experience she gains in her DeVry coursework.

"At DeVry, I really feel like I'm learning in my classes. Sometimes when you take a class you're just taking it to get the credits, but at DeVry, I actually do feel like I'm learning valuable lessons I can apply to real-world situations once I earn my degree."

Rugby is making its return to the Olympics for the first time since 1924. As a first time U.S. Olympian, Kelly, a DeVry sponsored athlete, and the Rugby Sevens team will look to add a gold medal to her collection.

Photo credit: Flickr/US Olympic Team