Kara Winger

Meet Kara Winger, Keller grad and 2016 U.S. Olympian

By DeVry University

Two-time Olympian

Education: Keller Graduate School of Management Graduate, MBA with a concentration in Accounting

Sport: Track & Field - Javelin

Hometown: Chula Vista, CA

Kara Winger is a two-time U.S. Olympian who first competed as a member of Team USA at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. She is also a two-time All American and the American record holder for women’s javelin all while winning four national titles and earning her undergraduate degree at Purdue University.

A recent graduate of DeVry University’s Keller Graduate School of Management, Kara is a DeVry sponsored athlete through DeVry’s partnership with the USOC. She began working towards her degree during her 2013 ACL rehabilitation. One of the things she appreciated most about her DeVry experience was the flexibility to take her courses online, as well as the support she received from her fellow students.

“I didn’t expect to learn so much from my fellow students who are already in the work force,” she said. “I realized very quickly that the flexibility that DeVry offers is not only appealing to a lot of people, but was absolutely necessary for many of my classmates who have so much going on in their lives. Many people were not only already working in their chosen field and pursuing higher education at the same time, but also had kids, volunteer positions, and many other things going on.”

Kara is also confident in the real-world skills she gained while earning her degree.

“I love that my degree from DeVry gives me the security of having the real-world learning that I haven’t yet gotten to experience in a work environment,” she said. “I don’t have a lot of work experience as I have dedicated my post-collegiate life to throwing the javelin, but having an MBA helps me feel calm and secure about my future, whatever it may be.”

Kara will be going for gold in Rio as a six-time USA Track & Field (USATF) Outdoor champion (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015) who also earned a bronze USATF medal in 2013.

Photo credit: Flickr/US Olympic Team