Jillion Potter

Meet Jillion Potter, Keller student and 2016 U.S. Olympian

By DeVry University

First-time Olympian

Education: Keller Graduate School of Management Student, MBA with a concentration in Entrepreneurship

Sport: Rugby

Hometown: Austin, TX

Jillion Potter will be competing for Team USA in her first Olympic Games in Rio. Jillion will compete as a part of the U.S. Rugby Sevens team, a variant of rugby in which teams are made up of seven players playing seven-minute halves, instead of the usual 15 players playing 40-minute halves. She won bronze with the 2013 Rugby World Cup Sevens, the premier stand-alone international rugby sevens competition, which is organized by the sport's governing body, World Rugby (WR), and is played every four years. She was previously a captain of U.S. Rugby Team for the Women’s Sevens and has been a part of the team since 2007.

As a DeVry University sponsored athlete, Jillion is attending DeVry’s Keller Graduate School of Management, pursuing an MBA with a concentration in entrepreneurship. She values the flexibility DeVry offers in her pursuit to continue her education, allowing her to earn a master’s degree while playing rugby at the highest level.

“When I heard about the USOC’s partnership with DeVry, I knew this would be an opportunity I couldn’t pass up,” she said. “Having the ability to continue my education while focusing on training was the perfect combination. I am able to take online classes whenever and wherever I can because of DeVry’s flexible class and study options.”

Jillion also appreciates the real-world experience she gains from her classes to prepare for life after rugby.

“DeVry is offering me a great platform to learn important tools and skills to run my own business one day. When I’m done competing I plan to own my own coffee shop.”

Jillion’s personal fight to compete in her first Olympics is unlike any other. Six years after breaking her neck in a friendly match and less than two years after her battle with stage III cancer, she is one of 12 players named to the 2016 U.S. Olympic Women’s Rugby Team. Jillion currently lives and trains at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, Calif.

Photo credit: Flickr/US Olympic Team