REQUEST INFO
Donnell Whittenburg

Meet Donnell Whittenburg, DeVry student and 2016 U.S. Olympic Hopeful

By DeVry University

TWO-TIME WORLD BRONZE MEDALIST

Education: DeVry University Student, Undergraduate Degree in Web Graphic Design

Sport: Artistic Gymnastics

Hometown: Baltimore, Maryland                    

Donnell Whittenburg is a two-time world bronze medalist (2014, 2015) and medaled at the Pacific Rim Championships, American Cup and Winter Cup events in 2016. Passionate about art and technology, Donnell is working to complete his undergraduate degree in web graphic design at DeVry University.

Donnell’s educational drive and inspiration to achieve his academic and athletic goals stem from his mother, who instilled the importance of earning a degree and hard work at an early age.

“My mom is a college graduate and has always talked about the importance of earning a degree,” says, Donnell. “She knows that my sports career is not going to last forever and that I will need something to fall back on.”

Donnell spends countless hours in the gym and relies on DeVry to support him as he works to earn his degree, while competing at the highest level in sports. He appreciates the flexibility DeVry offers and the personalized attention he gets from the DeVry professors who are always there to help him.

“At my previous school, I wasn't able to get to practice on time because I had class at a specific time that I had to go to. With DeVry, I can balance the two much better. I can get all of my practice in and also do all of my schoolwork online,” added Donnell.

Donnell is chasing his dream of making his first Olympic team.  He hopes to compete with Team USA and medal at the Rio Olympic Games, focusing on his specialties, vault and still rings.