REQUEST INFO
Learn more about The Biggest Loser winner Toma Dobrosavljevic.

Getting to Know DeVry Alum Toma Dobrosavljevic

By DeVry University

We recently sat down with Toma Dobrosavljevic, senior project manager, DeVry University and Keller Graduate School of Management alumnus and winner of this seasons’ The Biggest Loser. Dobrosavljevic’s joined the hit reality television series to make good on a promise he made to his late father – a promise to lose weight and get healthy. Get to know Toma and his time on the show, the challenges he has faced and how DeVry University prepared him to succeed in his career and in life.

What life lessons did you learn from being a contestant on The Biggest Loser?

I learned to never stop believing in myself. Regardless of how bad we think things are, they can be much worse. We need to continuously look for ways to improve ourselves physically and spiritually. Believe we can, and we will.  

As a former multi-sport athlete, how have competitive sports contributed to your success in life, as well as on The Biggest Loser?

Understanding team dynamics in sports and at work contributes greatly to success. We all have roles toplay on our teams. Sometimes you need to lead, and other times you need to follow. The most important thing, though, is that whichever role you’re in, give it everything you have. No one, single role is greater than the other.

Do you think technology plays a role in a healthy lifestyle? Why or why not?

Technology definitely plays an important role in a healthy lifestyle. Any type of technology can be used for good or bad. There are so many great tools at our fingertips that can help us understand our bodies and how to create healthier lifestyles. If we misuse or ignore these tools, we would be doing ourselves a disservice.  

What inspires you to push harder?

Knowing how much life has to offer. I want to continue to grow and learn as much as I can. A strong mind needs a strong body, and a strong body needs a strong mind. Knowing and understanding this pushes me to strengthen myself and others. 

How do you stay motivated to overcome your own obstacles?

Accountability. I am responsible for my actions and accountable for them. There is nothing we can’t accomplish if we are focused and determined. Hold yourself accountable and you won’t let yourself fail.

Did your work or education experience influence your lifestyle or time on The Biggest Loser?

Slow and steady wins the race. Life isn’t something you race through to get to the finish line – and neither is weight loss. The one thing I’ve learned in building good business practices is that they take time and patience to cultivate. I used that same approach on The Biggest Loser. I took it one day at time and planned accordingly, making adjustments as needed. I will continue to make improvements for the rest of my life and keep moving forward.

How did you juggle work, having a personal life and getting a degree?

It wasn’t easy. Good planning, hard work and a little luck got me through the hard times. Fortunately, DeVry offers a flexible schedule and an amazing amount of class options whether online or at a campus location.  

How did DeVry prepare you for success professionally?

DeVry University set the foundation for my career professionally. This included great classes such as communications, managerial finance and project management. The experienced professors helped introduce real world experiences in the classroom.  

Describe your role as a senior project manager? How did DVU/Keller prepare you for this career?

As a Senior Project Manager, I have a wide range of responsibilities including overseeing our contracting group to deliver turn key construction services. Completing my MBA with a concentration in project management helped give me the tools I need to be successful.  

What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?

Know your audience. When speaking in a room full of people or in a small group setting, know when to speak, when not to and what to say when given the opportunity. 

What’s the best advice you can share to spark inspiration and motivation within someone else?

Real goals equal real results. Set your bar high and go after it. There is nothing you can’t do.

DeVry University and Keller Graduate School of Management want to congratulate Toma for succeeding in reaching his goals personally and professionally! Check out his winning season and show bio here.

____________________

Photo credits:

Toma in the suit: Credit Trae Patton NBC

Toma with hands in the air: Credit Vivian Zink NBC