REQUEST INFO
Overcoming Obstacles

Overcoming Obstacles: Answers for Adults Who Want to Go Back to College

By DeVry University

Many who consider college have let fear of failure, busy schedules or expenses keep them from taking the next steps… applying and enrolling. Rest assured, you can work around these common concerns. As you consider taking the next step toward achieving your education and professional goals, take a look at how you can overcome perceived obstacles and get back to the classroom. 

Perceived Barrier

Solution

I just don’t have enough time for class.

Consider Online Learning or a Hybrid Approach

Today’s colleges offer a variety of options to fit your. At many schools, students can combine the convenience of online options with the personal attention of on-campus instruction.

I’m not sure which, if any, degree programs interest me.

Research, Ask for Advice

Education programs are constantly evolving, just like the business world. It’s in your best interest to research what interests you most, talk to admissions staff, and work to better understand your options by speaking with students and faculty alike. These tips from Princeton Review are a great start.

I can’t afford college.

Investigate All the Financial Aid Options

While it may seem daunting at first, going to college can be more affordable than you think. There are scholarships and grants of all kinds for students who qualify, in addition to programs such as fixed tuition that can eliminate the uncertainty of rising costs. You may not realize everything universities offer, from financial aid to hands-on support when applying for assistance, until you do a little digging.

I’m worried I won’t be able to find a job, and all that school will be a waste.

Inquire About Career Services Offerings
Most colleges offer career service resources, including advisors who can help you navigate your post-collegiate career before you graduate. Take time to learn about what a school offers before you enroll.

I haven’t been to school in a long time. I’m not sure I can make it

You’re Not Alone

More than a third of today’s college students are 25 years old and older.[1] Universities do what it takes to help students stay on track with success coaches, academic and career advisors, and sometimes even internships. Learn about services the school you’re considering offers.

I already have a job. I don’t need to go to school.

Expand Your Options

Earning a college degree is akin to making an investment in yourself – and in your future. A degree or additional certification can open the door to more choices and increase your earning potential. In fact, on average people with bachelor’s degrees who work full time will earn about 65% more than high school graduates in their work lives.[2]

I don’t really want to take out loans.

Inquire About Options

Explore other financial options like scholarships and grants. Unlike loans, they generally don’t have to be repaid. Research what financial assistance you may be qualified for, and apply for all the options available as soon as possible.

Are you inspired to get back to the classroom? Visit DeVry.edu for more information. 

_____________________________________________________________________

[1] http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=372
[2] http://trends.collegeboard.org/sites/default/files/education-pays-2013-how-college-shapes-lives-report.pdf (p. 31)